Saturday 4 January 2014

MK marathon: week 9 training plan

Last week...

Sunday was a planned rest day (no need for a long run since I did that the Friday before). I spent the day in a car travelling on the M6 and sleeping a lot. I also had a sore neck from sleeping on a variety of beds and pillows for a week over Christmas.

For some reason, my plan for Monday was to do an interval session! Who's idea was that?! I didn't do it. I drank wine and lounged.

On New Year's Eve I woke up early and in a lot of pain from my sore neck. I couldn't get comfortable lying down so got up to do some Pilates exercises to see if I could sort the pain out. It didn't work, so I decided to go for a run to see if I could jolt whatever was trapped loose. I wanted to run far enough so I completed my 900 mile (revised) annual target, and that distance worked out to be 7 miles (instead of the
8 miles I had 
planned). I kept the pace steady and made sure my heart rate was under 140 bpm (although it went a bit haywire at the beginning of the run, which is a sign that my HRM's soft strap needs replacing soon). I kept moving my head and neck, and shaking my shoulders, and identified that the pain was localised to my neck. It still hurts, but not as much as it did, and it doesn't hurt when I run, which is a good thing.

Wednesday was the first day of Janathon, and a planned rest day from running. My subconscious wouldn't allow me to blog about doing sit ups and squats, so I went for a 2 mile easy run, in the rain. And I decided to start plank-a-day again, although I had to get out of bed to do it because I forgot (1 minute full plank).

Back to running club on Thursday! Before club I tested my new headtorch by running on a dark lane behind my house. It works! For beginners club we just ran out and back to Arlesey roundabout (just over 2 miles), so my full run was 4 miles. For intermediates we kept things simple and ran up to Wilbury Hills and back, 5 miles in total, and 9 miles for the evening.

On Friday I had planned a rest day or Tabata workout, and I did a mini circuit at home (cardio, abs, arms, and legs), plus my plank-a-day (1 minute full plank).

Today was the first 
First Saturday 5K of 2014. I decided to incorporate it into my weekend long run, and ran 16 miles in total.


Next week's training plan...

Sunday (Week 9)

No need to train, I did the long run on Saturday 

Monday
Circuits (AM)

Tuesday
Running club (PM); a 2 mile run or speedwork

Pilates

Wednesday
Tempo run (AM); 5 mile run with 1 mile alternate fast/slow

Thursday
Running club (PM); plan says 8 miles, will do whatever everyone wants to do

Friday
Rest day (or Tabata workout)

Saturday
Rest day (might run around the football field while my daughter is at football training)


Sunday 
14 mile long run (the full Greenway)

No comments:

Post a Comment